Thursday, March 13, 2014

Dave Dombrowski Hates Me

Hello. How's everyone's day going? Me, you ask?

Le sigh.

Reaction after the jump break.


This isn't fair.

For newer readers, let me explain. In 2008, I decided to start writing about the Tigers. I named my blog that I would vent and rant about things "DesigNate Robertson" due to my disgust with Nate's performances on the mound. After Nate was long gone, I switched the blog to what you're reading now. I mean why cling to a site name referencing a crappy pitcher that's never coming back, right?

/wanking motion

While many Tigers fans possessing the attention span of a gnat fondly only remember Nate's decent 2006 season in Detroit and "DURRR GUMTIME", I cannot overlook what followed.

You see, whenever Dave Dombrowski sees the slightest spark in a left-handed pitcher, he gets more excited than a six year old chasing lightning bugs. He then overvalues and/or overpays. See also Dontrelle Willis, Phil Coke, Daniel Schlereth, and others. (This is another reason I'm terrified of Robbie Ray, but that's another paranoid post...)

In Nate's case, he was rewarded with deals that paid him $3.26M in 2007, $4.25M in 2008, $7M in 2009, and $10M in 2010. How did he fare those years in Detroit?

2007: 9-13, 4.76 ERA, 1.48 WHIP
2008: 7-11, 6.35 ERA, 1.66 WHIP
2009: 2-3, 5.44 ERA, 1.75 WHIP
2010: Traded to Florida for Jay Voss.

Yes, Detroit paid Nate almost his entire $10 million contract in 2010 to pitch for the Marlins and Phillies, going 6-8 with a 5.95 ERA. He hasn't pitched in MLB since, but has spent the past three years with several Triple A Clubs and even one Double A team. 2011 saw him in Tacoma (7.14 ERA). In 2012 Robertson was with Wichita, Iowa and Las Vegas (6.32 total ERA). And last year, the now side-armed reliever Nate was in Round Rock where he put up a more than respectable 3.04 ERA in 50.1 innings without allowing a home run.

But that's Round Rock.

Now he's back. Poor Luis Marte was released with Brad Ausmus telling the Free Press that there wasn't room for him in the Tigers minor league system. Meanwhile, Nate gets brought back. DD hates me.

Real reaction: Hey, if he can somehow contribute, great. It's only a minor league deal. I even wrote this GLOWING praise article on Nate in June of 2011 for his refusal to give up. I made peace with him years ago, even if I did have a minor stroke when reading Beck's tweet earlier. After trading Fister for shit and refusing to part ways with Kelly, this team can't hurt me anymore.

/knocks on wood for five hours straight

Well, they could bring Inge and Boesch back. If they do that, seriously, everybody fucking dies.

No comments:

Post a Comment